Former players have access to a variety of programs and resources through the Former Player Life Improvement Plan, including:
- Neurological Care Program: Provides retired players with access to comprehensive evaluations and treatment at six participating medical centers across the nation.
- Spine Treatment Program: Makes spine specialists available at five hospitals across the country to evaluate and treat spine-related conditions among retired players.
- Joint Replacement Program: Provides reimbursement for joint replacement surgeries and offers VIP treatment at select locations.
- Prescription Drug Card Program: Free prescription card allows retired players who are not receiving coverage under the NFL Player Insurance Plan to receive discounts on prescription drugs at more than 57,000 pharmacies in the U.S.
- Medicare Supplement Program: Pays $120 a month toward the premium for coverage under a Medicare supplemental insurance program.
- Priority Access to Assisted Living Facilities: Special discounts and priority access to designated senior and assisted living facilities across the country.
- Vested Inactive Life Insurance: Provides life insurance benefits to all vested, inactive players who have not yet reached age 55 and have not yet retired under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan.
Eligibility requirements vary for each benefit. Learn more about the Former Player Life Improvement Plan and requirements for participation by calling the NFL Retired Player Customer Care Center at (800) 635-4625.
- Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan: Provides eligible NFL players with disability benefits, pensions, and survivor benefits for their families. To learn more and obtain forms for the plan, call the Player Benefits Administration Office at (800) 638-3186.
- 88 Plan: Provides financial reimbursement for care costs of vested players who diagnoses of dementia, ALS, or Parkinson’s disease. To learn more and obtain forms for the 88 Plan, call the Player Benefits Administration Office at (800) 638-3186.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: Covers assistance provided to a person who has a severe cognitive impairment requiring continual supervision or is unable to perform the activities of daily living. Coverage for spouses of former players is also available. For more information, you or a family member should speak to a Transamerica representative at 866-478-5209.
NFL PLAYER ENGAGEMENT
NFL Player Engagement offers resources to help players move through all phases of life successfully. Programs for current and retired players focus on supporting players’ personal and professional development, on and off the field. Resources include: NFL Engagement Zone, NFL Business Management and Entrepreneurial Program, Industry Boot Camps, NFL Transition Assistance Program and Coaches Academies. To learn more click here.